The complete rules…
Walkers choose an organization to support, gather pledges and walk the lovely trails at Mount Madonna School. Upon completion, celebrate Earth Day with live music, an eco–carnival, delicious food, and eco-shopping.
How it works:
- Tax-exempt organizations sign up on line to participate
- Proof of tax-exemption must be provided to Summit for the Planet by fax or mail (mandatory).
- Once approved, the organization will appear as participants on the website.
- Each organization invites their supporters to participate as walkers – all ages are welcome.
- Walkers visit the website and register. Each individual creates a profile, indicates which organization he/she is supporting, and sets a goal for how far he/she will walk.
- Walkers then seek support for their participation in the form of pledges from their friends & family.
- Finally, on April 27, everyone gathers to walk and/or run the trail on the Mount Madonna School’s campus.
- Volunteers are stationed along the route to offer water, snacks and support. After walking, participants are invited to relax, visit, and enjoy the Earth Day Celebration.
- Within 5 days, The Summit for the Planet Coordinator notifies all sponsors who made pledges of the distances walked by participants and requests payment.
- Once funds/pledges are in, Summit for the Planet sends a check for 70% of your group pledges received.
By joining, your organization makes the following agreements:
- Your organization’s leadership approves participation.
- Your organization is tax exempt (e.g., 501(c)3, school, or government agency), has a non-discrimination policy in place, and provides a copy of your tax-exempt documentation to Summit for the Planet.
- You identify a Summit Coordinator for your organization. S/he will communicate with people in your organization helping them to sign up to participate, approve registrations on the website, and encourage them to get sponsors to pledge on their commitment to walk. (See complete Summit Coordinator responsibilities).
- You notify your supporters about the event and encourage participation.
- Summit for the Planet will provide e-flyers, newsletter texts, etc. for you to share.
- Your Summit Coordinator (or proxy) attends the event. Other volunteers are also welcome.
- You earn 70% of paid pledges; 30% goes to Mount Madonna School to offset event costs.
- Each walker must earn a minimum of $50 in pledges to receive an event T-shirt. Other walkers are invited to attend for free